The University of Adelaide 慕课团 加入小组

20个成员 17个话题 创建时间:2020-08-21

【原著共读】《The Tell-Tale Heart 》(6)

发表于2020-09-07 2265次查看

If still you think me mad(我还真的就认为你疯了……), you will think so no longer when I describe the wise precautions I took for the concealment of the body.

I cut off the head and the arms and the legs.

I then took up three planks from the flooring of the chamber, and deposited all between the scantling.

I then replaced the boards so cleverly, so cunningly, that no human eye---not even his---could have detected any thing wrong.

There was nothing to wash out---no stain of any kind---no blood-spot whatever.

I had been to wary for that.

A tub had caught all---ha! ha!

When I had made an end of these labors, it was four o'clock---still dark as midnight.

As the bell sounded the hour, there came a knocking at the street door.

I went down to open it with a light heart, ---for what had I now to fear?

There entered three men, who introduced themselves, with perfect suavity, as officers of the police.

A shriek had been heard by a neighbour during the night; suspicion of foul play had been aroused; information had been lodged at the police office, and the (the officers) had been deputed to search the premises.

I smiled, ---for what had I to fear?

I bade the gentlemen welcome.

The shriek, I said, was my own in a dream.

The old man, I mentioned, was absent in the country.

I took my visitors all over the house.

I ade them search---search well.

I led them, at length, to his chamber.

I showed them his treasures, secure, undisturbed.

In the enthusiasm of my confidence, I bought chairs into the room, and desired them here to rest from their fatigues, while I myself, in the wild audacity of my perfect triumph, placed my own seat upon the very spot beneath which reposed the corpse of the victim.

1回复
  • 2楼 Cao 2020-09-07

快要结尾了……还剩一段

发表回复
你还没有登录,请先 登录或 注册!
话题作者
团员积分排行榜
你不是该慕课团的团员
你不是该慕课团的团员
你不是该慕课团的团员